Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Monkey business





First Strip    Previous Strip    Next Strip    Latest Strip

That's Final Fantasy XIII going into the cart btw. I did buy it. No, my wife knew about it before I did, but I might try this at some point.

I must say that the Final Fantasy games are just as enjoyable to watch as they are to play. Unlike a lot of RPG's, you aren't playing as a character that you made up, but rather one that the developer made up. It allows for a more cinematic experience, which in turn makes watching the game much more enjoyable.

In western RPG's, you play the game as yourself. You create a character to look like you want him/her to look. JRPG's rely on a story of epic proportions that unfolds like a book or movie. Western RPG's rely on the personal experience of the controller.

When trying to explain this to my wife, I likened the JRPG to a book, while the western RPG is a story, like the ones your dad used to tell you. The book is unchangeable, you're playing through a scripted linear plot that doesn't have much room for change. The story is slightly different every time you play it, just like your dad will tell the story different to each of your siblings.

I don't think there is a right or wrong method. Rather, the buyer should buy the game that he enjoys more. But if you're a spectator, it is much more fun to watch the JRPG than it is to watch someone play a western RPG.

~Dooj

P.S. In case you wanted to see more monkey:

No comments:

Post a Comment